Tuesday 19 May 2015

Guest Designer : Lekha Jain

Hello Everyone!

I Loved the theme for this months challenge and I hope that you are having a blast creating feminine creations along with the exciting moodboard (Do not forget to use wings)!! All the details about this months Watercolor challenge can be found here



We have Lekha as our guest designer for this month and she is one amazing person who loves quilling. Well, that's what she loves in the first place - quilling. Lets check out a little more about her and then head over to see the inspiration she has made for us.



 1.Tell us a little about yourself and your family.

Happy go lucky by nature,hospital admin by qualification, quiller and crafter by passion ...this sums up about me. Blessed with wonderful parents and hubby who are my best critics...and its their unbiased,blunt criticism that has helped me grow as an artist.


2. How did you become interested in crafts and what inspired you to start blogging?

Getting into crafting was just a hobby,i would say side effect of being jobless. Quilling still is my first love and my forte. But eventually a mere hobby turned into passion and now my identity..
I learnt everything through various blogs,you tube channels..so for me blogging is sharing my little knowledge with people just like me.


3. What are some of your "go-to" supplies for crafting?
Ok!!the list here could be like never ending saga...but i would still run for a good pair of scissors, super strong adhesives, paper trimmer, scoreboard and my box of quilling tools and strips, infact I often carry my quilling box while travelling!!!


4. What is your favorite crafting technique?
Quilling indeed is my first love but once you start experimenting with other things like stamps,inks,sprays etc..you cant just get rid of the urge to get more and more of these..
Other than quilling I love trying my hand on mix media...or you can say I  love the look of inked hands!


5. How would you describe your crafting style?
Free-style..thats what my crafting style is...I keep experimenting with the look of my projects untill it reaches my satisfaction level.


6. How long have you been crafting?
Its been close to four years of developing a hobby into passion..


7. My signature style
I love my projects to be bright and  flowers,pearls are my first choice. Or rather my weakness!!


8. Who are some of your influences? Who has been your inspiration?
Many many artists have been inspiring me to try new techniques...to name a few...Jennifer Mcguire Ink, Yulia Brodskaya,Rajini Chawla,Hussena Calcuttawala,Neha Bhatt ,Tejal Mehta Shah....thats not the end.


9. When not crafting , what keeps you busy?
Ummmm...to think, aaha!! I am on Pintrest...admiring,drooling on,learning from some amazing work. So its craft on the roll in some or the other form :p


10. What are you currently working on?
Presently I am working on Quilled typography project...to put it in simple language,its a nameplate. Its fun doing customised projects..Another thing i am working on for the first time is an Explosion box.


Thank you Lekha, It was nice knowing more about you and yes, we are definitely looking forward to that nameplate and your first explosion box! Lets checkout what Lekha has made for us.





I have taken a MDF three drawer set...perfect to be part of little girl's or even a teenager's dressing ..
Wanted my drawer set to be girly so what best could be than painting the world PINK!!..(biased towards the color pink!)

1.I have used Camel's Artists' Acrylic Color (scarlet lake and titanium white) to get this pink tone..Though we often use a primer/gesso on the MDF surfaces so that the colors remain true to their tones and also to avoid that stickiness(many acrylic colors/fabric colors give that sticky feeling on drying, especially when used on wooden surfaces)
But I was too lazy to apply a coat of gesso so directly out on the acrylics..and yet there is no stickiness on the surface..  

2. Next step was choosing a pattern paper and the prettiest in my stash was this particular Webster's Pages paper pack ( Postcards from Paris II), i just love prints this collection has. Actually tough using them ;P . These just look pretty sitting their on the shelf..(isn't  that a sign of a Hoarding Syndrome!!).
Cut the paper to respective sizes of the top, sides and drawer units..Used Mod Podge to adhere them to the painted unit.



3. On the sides have given a little texture using Sakura modeling paste and Rangers gothic stencil( i have a crush on this the damask design). Mixed a little Gold acrylic color from Sakura.



4. On the uppermost drawer I used corner die from Die-Namics Four corner die set..Layered two pcs and then heat embossed with Rangers Gold embossing powder.


    The second drawer has a little girl cutout embossed with rangers Verdigris embossing powder, just love the mix of colors it has.


5. The top of the drawer unit has resin embellishment which has been gessoed, sprayed with Lindy's and than heat embossed with gold embossing powder. Mulberry flowers and fillers complete the look.



I Hope you liked tiny miny drawer set. 

Love Lekha.


Wow, Lekha, this all pink drawer is a heart stealer for sure! I loved the arrangement of the flowers on the top! 
So guys, this is perhaps the most interesting challenge this time, grab your thinking caps and make something feminine ! You can enter in the challenge here.

Happy Crafting
Manu

3 comments:

  1. Its Beautiful Lekha ! It was nice to read about you and your crafting journey !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its sooo good to know a little more about you Lekha ..Your Mini drawer box is Gorgeous ..I love all the beautiful details you have added to it ...can't believe your stenciling work ..its come out so perfect !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the alteration Lekha! So glad to read about you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.